Monday, October 3, 2011

Apple Season

Pin It
If you know me at all, you know that I'm somewhat obsessed with our local farmers market. Chris and I have tried, this year especially, to utilize our city yard as best as we could to grow our own produce, but in whatever we're lacking, the farmers market more than make up the difference.



Apples are the thing right now, and I took advantage of the plethora of beautiful varieties this past Saturday. Once I got home with them, and after admiring their beauty for a hot second, I got right to making some homemade applesauce. I have to say... it turned out really great. And it was REALLY simple.

I don't have a food mill, and to be quite honest, I don't think I would have tackled this task if weren't for....



my peeler, corer, slicer thingamajigger. 
IT'S AWESOME! 
Literally, put the apple on, crank the handle and throw it in the pot!


Here's the recipe I used (if you can even call it that, it's so simple):


16 medium sized apples (a combination is probably best, I used 8 Macintosh and 8 Gala)
1/2 C. Sugar (more or less depending on sweetness of apples)
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (more if you're really into it. I'm not, so this was just enough)


Throw the above in a pot and simmer over medium heat until apples are soft and you can mash them with a potato masher. And then.... you guessed it, mash them with a potato masher.






Mind you, I tripled this recipe and canned mine in quart jars (I ended up with 7). Process for 20 minutes in sterilized jars in a water bath... and....


taa daa! Did I spell that right?

Anywho, I still have a lot left, so the rest are going in the slow cooker overnight with a little bit of sugar to make apple butter. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Happy Apple Season!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your feedback! I would love to hear what you have to say.

If you are entering a comment for a giveaway, please be sure to post a comment for EACH entry where more than one entry qualify. Thanks!